Kovakka Thoran/ Ivy Gourd Thoran
Yet another healthy and easy to make thoran recipe from Kerala. Kovakka Thoran/ Ivy Gourd Thoran is made from stir frying in kovakka (also called tindly in Hindi) in coconut and powdered spices. There are so many variations of kovakka dishes made in Kerala, kovakka stir-fry, kovakka fry are the most famous dishes among all.
Kovakka thoran is an excellent dish for rice and kovakka is now almost available through out the year. This thoran recipe is as same as any thoran recipes, but the best thing about this is that time needed for cooking is way too less, compared to other thoran recipes. The most famous thoran recipes from Kerala are cabbage thoran, van payar thoran, mung bean thoran, string beans thoran etc..
These tiny-cucumber-looking vegetables is a powerhouse and has got a lot of health benefits. A rich source for beta-carotene, VitaminB1, Vitamin B2 and above ivy gourd is known it’s ability to control blood sugar level.
I hope you all try out this Kovakka Thoran/ Ivy Gourd Thoran recipe and do let me know your feedback.
Kovakka Thoran/ Ivy Gourd Thoran Recipe
- Kovakka – 300gms, sliced
- Coconut oil – 1 Tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Dry Chilly -2 each
- Mustard seeds -1/2 tsp
- Grated coconut -1 cup
- Shallots – 2 each, sliced
- Shallots – 2 each, whole
- Cumin seeds -1/2 Tsp
- Green chilly – 2 each
- Garlic cloves -2 each
- Turmeric powder -1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Wash and slice the kovakka, set aside.
- In oil in a skillet, splutter mustard seeds.
- Add dry chilly, curry leaves and fry them.
- Stir in sliced shallots, green chilly and cook until soft.
- Add kovakka and continue to stir fry on a slow fire.
- In the mean time, crush grated coconut with turmeric, cumin seeds, garlic and shallots coarsely in a food processor.
- Mix in the ground coconut mix into the kovakka.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover, increase the flame to medium and stir fry.
- When the kovakka is tender, adjust the seasoning and remove from fire.
- Your delicious kovakka thoran is ready now.
Sharing is Caring and it’s just a click away! If you find this post useful, I would really appreciate if you could please share it with your friends on social medias. Thank you.
Bone Appetite & Happy Cooking!