Karimeen or Pearl Spot fish is seen in the fresh waters of Southern India, especially in Aleppy region of Kerala.
It’s very sad that,very recently I have seen in a local news paper that Karimeen is under the threat of extinction. The Kerala government is doing everything they could possibly do to make sure that the situation is being well taken care off. I also would like to take this opportunity to wish the Kerala government all the success.
I am a huge fan of Krimeen and i am doing my part too, I am growing a couple them in my fish tank too.
Karimeen fry is an absolute killer. The recipe I am sharing now is a typical Kallu Shappu style.
- Karimeen/ Peral spot – 4 each
- Coconut oil- 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1 Tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 Tsp
- Chilly Powder – 1 Tsp
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder – 1 Tsp
- Egg yolk – 2 nos
- Refined flour- 2 Tbsp
- Lemon- 2 each
- Ginger-Garlic paste – 1 Tsp
- Clean the fish.
- Give knife impressions on the flesh as shown the below picture, this helps the marination to penetrate deep inside.
- To make the marinade, in a mixing bowl, mix together turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilly powder, salt, black pepper, egg yolk, flour, ginger-garlic paste and lemon juice.
- Apply the marinade thoroughly over the fish and refrigerate for an hour.
- Heat up coconut oil in a frying pan to fry the fish. Slowly slide the fish in to the oil and shallow fry the fish one side at a time.
Make sure to fry the fish to golden brown in color, remove the fish from the oil and keep it on a strainer to drain the excess oil. Serve hot.
Bone Appetite & Happy Cooking!