I wish all of you, your family and friends a Happy Vishu. May this Vishu brings happiness, peace and prosperity in your life. May all your wishes come true.
Vishu, Hindu festival, marks the first day of the Malayalam calendar month, Medam. Everyone celebrates Vishu in Kerala with great spirit. People celebrate Vishu by preparing Vishukkani(first sight) in the morning, Vishu Kaineettam , making elaborate Sadya (vegetarian feast) for lunch, fire crackers, etc
The auspicious Vishukkani is the most important part of the Vishu celebration. Vishukkani is the first thing you see in the morning and it’s believed that if the Vishukkani is good, the rest of the year is going to be good for you. In a nutshell, the fortune for the year depends on how carefully Vishukkani is made. So, Vishukkani is prepared with everything related to prosperity. Normally it’s prepared by the most experienced or the eldest person of the house.
Paal payasam and vishu are inseperable. This sweet,creamy, rich paal payasam is made at every house hold during Vishu. I am sharing one of favorite paal payasam recipes today. Hope you celebrate this Vishu with great spirit and joy. Once again a Happy Vishu 2018 to all of you.
Paal payasam Recipe..
- Rice/red rice – 1 cup
- Milk – 3 cups
- Water 2 cups
- Sugar – 1 1/2 cups
- Cashew nuts -1 Tbsp
- Butter – 1 Tbsp, for frying cashew nuts
- Cardamom powder -1/2 Tsp
- Wash and drain the rice. Set aside.
- In a pot, take milk and water together and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the fire and simmer until reduced to half.
- Add rice and cook till the rice is soft.
- Stir in the sugar and continue to cook.
- In the mean time, heat butter in a skillet and fry cashew nuts.
- Once the desired consistency is achieved, remove from the fire.
- Mix in the fried cashew nuts and serve.
Note: I have used the red rice (available in Kerala) and it gives color to the payasam.
Sharing is Caring and it’s just a click away! If you find this post useful, I would really appreciate if you could please share it with your friends on social medias. Thank you.
Bone Appetite & Happy Cooking