Green Peas Curry & Appam(Hoppers)
Green Peas Curry & Appam(Hoppers) is one of most famed breakfast combinations from Kerala. Reasonably spicy green peas curry and fairly sweet palappam is combination work really good with each other.
This green peas curry is a very traditional and basic version. There are a lot of regional varieties of the same recipe, some might call for coconut milk and some not. I have used coconut milk and both chilly powder and green chilly to balance the sweet-creamy and spicy taste.
Appam is one of the most famous breakfast dishes from Kerala. The preparation of the appam is similar to the preparation of dosa and it’s easy to make. I hope you try this Green Peas Curry & Appam(Hoppers) Recipe out and let me know your feedback please..
Green Peas Curry & Appam(Hoppers) Recipe..
- Green peas (dry)- 1 cup
- Coconut oil – 2 Tbsp
- Curry leaves -1 sprig
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Dry Chilly – 3 each
- Shallots – one handful, peeled
- Ginger – 1 Tsp, chopped
- Garlic- 1 Tsp, chopped
- Green chilly – 3 each, slit
- Turmeric powder -1Tsp
- Chilly powder -1/2 Tsp
- Coriander powder -1/2 Tsp
- Coconut milk (thick)-2 Cup
- Salt to taste
- Wash green peas and soak them over night (at least 6-7 hours)
- In a kadai (skillet), heat coconut oil and crackle mustard seeds.
- Add curry leaves and dry chilly.
- Add shallots and cook for a couple of minutes.
- To this , add chopped ginger, garlic and green chilly.
- Cook until shallots are semi-soft.
- Sprinkle powdered spices and cook until the raw flavor goes off.
- Now add the soaked green peas and saute for a minute.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and let boil.
- Then add, coconut milk and reduce the flame.
- Let the green peas cook on a simmering fire for about 20-25 minutes.
- When the green peas are tender, adjust the seasoning.
- Serve hot with appam.
Sharing is Caring and it’s just a click away! If you find this post useful, I would really appreciate if you could please share it with your friends on social medias. Thank you.
Bone Appetite & Happy Cooking !