Dal Tadka Recipe
Today I am going to share Dal Tadka Recipe with you all. Dal Tadka does not need any introduction to Indians as Dal Tadka is the most common side dish in every Indian household.
Dal Tadka Recipe is made with toor dal (tuvar dal or pigeon peas). Toor dal is boiled first with turmeric powder and then a tadka is made with dry chilly, cumin seeds and powdered spices and the tadka is added to the cooked dal.
Dal Tadka Recipe with step by step photos..
1.Take toor dal and water in a pot.
2.Add turmeric and salt. Bring to boil.
3.Cover with a lid and cook till done.
4.When done, remove from fire and set aside.
5.Heat up a skillet, add oil and fry dried chilly and cumin seeds.
6.Add chopped onion. Cook for 2 minutes.
7.Add ginger-garlic paste. Cook for a minute.
8.Add turmeric powder, chilly powder and cumin powder.
9.Add chopped tomatoes, cook till mushy.
10.Add cooked dal to it. Mix well.
11.Adjust seasoning and dal is ready.
- Toor dal – 1 cup
- Turmeric -1 Tsp
- Water as needed
- Vegetable oil- 1 Tsp
- Dried chilly -2
- Cumin seeds – 1 Tsp
- Onion- 1 chopped
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 Tsp
- Chilly powder – 3/4 Tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/4 Tsp
- Tomatoes – 1/2 cup, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Wash and drain toor dal (pigeon peas).
- Take toor dal and water in apot, add turmeric powder.
- Add salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the flame to simmer, cover with a lid.
- Cook till dal is done. Remove from fire and set aside.
- Heat up a skillet, add oil.
- When the oil starts smoking, add dried chilly and cumin seeds.
- Let it sizzle for a minute.
- Add chopped onion and cook over a low flame for 2 minute.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, cook for a minute.
- Now add chilly powder, turmeric powder and cumin powder.
- Cook the spices over a low flame for 2 minutes.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes or till it becomes mushy.
- Add cooked dal to it and mix well.
- Adjust the seasoning.
- Serve hot and enjoy.