chick peas & potato curry/ aloo & chana curry is an all time favorite dish for vegetarians and vegans…and this has been one of the to-go dishes for me.There are so many variations of chick peas & potato curry you may find in India. It’s very difficult to figure out which style or version is better than other one.
Most importantly every state in India make their own version of potato & chick peas curry/ aloo chana curry The style of cooking can be different, spice combination can be different and so on.
This recipe of potato & chick peas curry/aloo chana curry is unique, I must say as I have used lime juice towards the end to give a distinctively sharp kick- Yes, I thought tangines of the chick peas & potato curry would go really well with chapathi, and it did.
Try out this chick peas & potato curry/ aloo & chana curry and let me know your comments..
- Potato – 300 gms
- Chick peas – 200 gms,canned
- Vegetable oil – 2 Tbsp
- Star anise – 2 each
- Cinnamon stick – 1 each
- Mace – 1 each
- Bay leaf – 1 each
- Red onion – 2 medium, sliced
- Ginger -garlic paste – 1 Tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 Tbsp
- Chilly powder -1 Tbsp
- Coriander powder -1/2 Tbsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 Tbsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 Tbsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Tomato – 1 medium, sliced
- Coriander leaves – 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Lime juice -1 Tbsp
- Peel and dice potato,set aside.
- In medium sized pot, heat oil.
- Add whole spices such as mace, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and star anise.
- Cook for a minute.
- Sliced onions can be added now and saute on a medium fire.
- Mix in ginger-garlic paste and continue cook.
- When the onions become translucent, add the powdered spices and salt.
- Reduce the fire to slow and cook until spices are cooked well.
- Pour one cup of water and bring to boil.
- Simmer for a minute and add the tomatoes.
- Let the tomatoes mix well and add potatoes.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the cover and add chick peas and half of the chopped cilantro.
- Continue to cook on a slow fire for another 10 minutes.
- Make sure check if the potatoes are cooked through.
- Adjust the seasoning.
- Finish with lemon juice, chopped cilantro.
- Now your chick peas & potato curry/ aloo & channa curry is ready.
- Serve hot.
Sharing is Caring and it’s just a click away! If you find this post useful, I would really appreciate if you could share it with your friends on social medias. Thank you.
Bone Appetite & Happy Cooking!