Chakka Payasam / Jackfruit Payasam
Chakka Payasam / Jackfruit Payasam recipe is a very famous and delicious payasam from Kerala. This dish is made with ripe chakka (jackfruit), cooked in jaggery syrup and coconut milk and thickened with raw rice paste.
Chakka payasam is particularly famous during Vishu celebration. Vishu is celebrated on the second week of April and March-May is the best season for Jackfruits in Kerala.
It is very important that you need to make sure that you are using ripe jackfruit (not over ripe though) for this recipe. Raw rice paste is added to give body (to thicken )to the payasam. If you would like the payasam to thin, adjust the quantity of raw rice paste.
If you would like to watch the vide, click the link below.
Chakka Payasam / Jackfruit Payasam with step step photos..
1.Add chakka or jackfruit dices to jaggery syrup..
3.Add thin coconut milk and cook for 2-3 minutes and thicken with raw rice paste.
4.Add thick coconut milk and finish with cardamom powder and a pinch of salt..
- chakka or jackfruit – 500 gms, diced
- Jaggery – 500 gms
- Grated coconut – 200 gms
- Raw rice – 75 gms
- Condensed milk – 50 gms (optional)
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt- a pinch
- First of all,Soak raw rice in water for 15 minutes.
- Now grind the rice to a smooth paste and set aside
- Then clean the jackfruit and dice them.Set aside.
- .Make coconut milk by adding 1 cup of water, mix well and strain(squeeze) first coconut milk and keep the left over grated coconut.
- Add one cup of water again to the left over coconut and strain to remove the second coconut milk.
- Make jaggery syrup by melting 500 gms of jaggery in 750 ml water.
- Once melted, strain to remove impurities.
- Pour the jaggery syrup to a medium sized pot and bring to a boil.
- Add diced jackfruit, mix well and bring to boil.
- Add thin coconut milk and cook for about 7 minutes.
- Now add raw rice paste and cook over a very slow flame for 5 minutes.
- Then add the thick coconut milk and cook for 2 minute.
- Add crushed or powdered cardamom now.
- Add a pinch of salt to balance the sweetness.
- Mix well and remove the fire.